Every month, or so anyhow, the RPG Bloggers community gets together and one lucky/brave blogger volunteers to host that month's blog carnival. This month the carnival is being hosted by our fine friends over at Game Knight Reviews. The top? What's in your backpack?
This is a fairly simple question, but it greatly depends on your game of choice now doesn't it? I tend to play a lot of L5R where the "Travel Pack" is the replacement for the backpack. The travel pack is also restricted to 10 items. Here are just a few of the items I regularly take:
- Spare Kimono & Sandals - Need to have a change of clothes, never know when you will get dirty.
- Chopsticks - Rokugan has taboos against touching the dead. GMs place a lot of dead in your path for mysteries. Saves time on getting an Eta
- Tea Cup - I like the Scorpion. Scorpion often have their own tea cup. Harder to be poisoned this way
- Whetstone - Sword maintenance is your friend
- Wide Brimmed Hat - Helps in the rain, lets you look cool
- Sake/Shochu - Great for parties and ice breaking
- Bed roll - Even if my Lord provides adequate sleeping arrangements, I can have a spare bedroll just in case.
- Tent - more on Ronin than clan samurai. Also depends on the nature of the game.
- Water and/or Food - Again, more for Ronin, but also depending on the nature of the game.
- Bleach - gotta get them whites their whitest...
The bleach is one that is almost an inside joke now. In a Scorpion game a friend ran I played a Bayushi Saboteur who, among a bunch of other things, kept a bottle of bleach on him at all times. Now, Kyoshin's nickname was "Bayushi MacGyver" so I'm sure you have an idea on the character and how he played. Still, everyone always laughed at the bottle of bleach and wondered what it would be used for. In the end, the use I found for it wasn't what I had expected going in.
The group was in the home of an old friend of our superior who was also hosting an Imperial. The Imperial, wanting to know what our lovely group of Scorpion were doing out traipsing around decided he would start talking with us and press us for information. Now, Kyoshin as I said was a saboteur, a ninja, which is illegal in Rokugan. Kyoshin also had "Driven: protect the Scorpion/follow orders" which meant that he would sacrifice anything in order to finish a mission/order/keep the Scorpion safe. He had standing orders to not be found out as well. So, Kyoshin sees the questioning getting closer and closer to him and he also knows that the Imperial is going to force him to either reveal a whole bunch of stuff he doesn't want to (in fact, can't) or be incredibly rude to the Imperial to the point it could be bad for the Scorpion. So what does he do? He pours bleach into his tea cup, downs it, and immediately gets so sick that he is dismissed from the table before the questioning can reach him. He loses face and is shamed for his weakness, but the Imperial gets nothing for him. All because I had a bottle of bleach in my kit for "just in case" purposes.
So, how about you? What's in your backpack?